Monday, September 21, 2009

Spread The Rumor: Native Staten Island Band


Hilary, Sabrina, KT, Val and Pete of Spread The Rumor are giving the “Forgotten Borough” a reason to be remembered. The girls (and boy) are taking Staten Island by storm. They are young but they know how to rock.
Thankfully I was able to have a chat with them.


How did “Spread The Rumor” start?

Val: STR started my freshman year in high school. Hilary and I were walking across the street and she almost got hit by a school bus. That got us talking about band names and eventually led to the fact that I played bass and Hilary played keyboard. We decided to start a band.

KT: Hilary and Val found me at our friend's house, then Val found Pete on the bus, and we kidnapped Sabrina. We have been a full band for a year in October.

Well that is a pretty interesting start. So once all members were acquired how did you come up with the name “Spread The Rumor”?

Sabrina: Before we were called “Spread the Rumor”, we were the “Flashlight Refugees”. We all thought we needed to upgrade our name. One of Valerie's favorite bands, Socratic's, CD was called "Spread the Rumors" We thought it was pretty cool.

What is the deal with an album? Is there a Spread The Rumor album on the horizon?

KT: Yes, we're working on our first demo now, and we're writing new songs all the time so we will have a sufficient amount of material when the time for an album comes.

Can’t wait to hear it! Who would you say are your biggest influences?

Val: Blink 182, Ben Folds Five, Green Day, and Motion City Soundtrack.

Sabrina: My biggest influence is Green Day. They're the ones who inspired me to be motivated in learning guitar.

KT: The Beatles, Evanescence

Wow! You have some great motivating you through this. All the artists that you girls listed are amazing performers. What is your favorite part of performing?

Sabrina: When I'm performing in front of people, I just get this feeling, it just feels like I'm doing the right thing in my life; like I'm headed in the right direction for my future. It just feels right. It's an indescribable feeling.

Val: I love positive crowd reaction and making the performance as enjoyable for everyone there as I can. It's a lot of fun.

KT: The whole experience of playing on a stage for a whole bunch of people you may or may not know.

This has been a great little Q&A. Any last words? Anything you want the readers to know?

Sabrina: Hmm. Not really sure. But one thing I do know is that if you ever have doubts in anything you want to pursue, keep thinking positive. I know corny lol.

Val: Ha ha. Never be in a band, it eats all of your time and money. Ha ha ha ha.


Take a trip to Staten Island and check them out!!!

Peace and Love,
Daniella

No comments: