Thursday, May 28, 2009

Crash Course to Life 101: Lessons I Learned Through Music




In the next upcoming weeks, I’ll be turning the big 2-1. I look back thinking on what a miracle it was that I survived many stages of awkwardness and insecurities that came with the transition from girl to woman. I can’t recall the film in health class about puberty or the talk about the birds and the bees making my life easier to understand. In fact, I probably would’ve been a lot better without it. One thing that was always able to help me understand this crazy world was the music that blared in my room and the female rockers who were simply telling it like it is. If there was a situation my mother couldn’t fix or my girlfriends couldn’t relate to, I sought guidance from women who could rock out some pretty good advice. From boy problems to facing inner demons, here are some of the personal lessons I learned from my favorite rocker chick songs.

1. Always enter with a bang, let the world know you’ve arrived. Cherry Bomb-Joan Jett and The Blackhearts.

2. Love all of yourself- the good, the bad, and the ugly. “Bitch”-Meredith Brooks

3. There comes a time where people will think you’re not good enough and that you can’t live up to high expectations. Prove them wrong. “Just a Little Girl”-Amy Studt

4. When it comes to finding a significant other, never settle for less of what you deserve. There’s also no shame in waiting for a good thing to come along. “21 Things I Want In A Lover”-Alanis Morrisette

5. Good girls don’t always finish last. “Misery Business”-Paramore

6. Never let a guy leave you a hot mess or without closure. Always have the last word and walk out with pride. “You Oughta Know”-Alanis Morrisette

7. There’s no rush to grow up. Be reckless, stupid, and young. Life’s too short. “When I Grow Up”-Garbage

8. Times will be tough and you may not always have an answer to the solution. It’s okay to feel defeated and frustrated, but always hang on to the thought that in the end, things will always turn out to be okay. “What’s Up”- 4 Non Blondes

9. You’re meant for great things. Take advantage of whatever life offers you. The world’s yours for the taking, make the most of it. “Love Is All Around” cover-Joan Jett

-By Angelica Castillo

.

No comments: