Monday, December 14, 2009

Exene Cervenka mellows out with "Somewhere Gone"

Hey everyone! I hope all is well. Do you remember Exene Cervenka, co-lead singer of the punk rock band X? Well she's back again only solo this time with her new album called "Somewhere Gone" (Bloodshot Records).

This record has a very mellow, folky sound to it. It puts me in a very comforting mood. "Somewhere Gone" is like an escape from a stressful reality. It takes you to a place that's almost like home, but only better at times. Yet, the songs are too similar and don't differentiate from each other.

The song "Let Go and Be Sweet" was peaceful. These words spoke a lot to me. People are always so caught up in their own world that they sometimes forget how to be kind to others. Sometimes, we got to just forget our problems and enter a world of cotton candy bliss and just be sweet. "Somewhere Gone" had a more somber sound. It seemed to be about a girl who is either looking for something or is lost. It's like she has no place to call home and is in a state of escaping peril.

This album had a different sound than what I expected from this former punk rocker. The essence of its sound rocked me to sleep and made me forget about my daily problems just for a little while. Cervenka's hardcore sound has softened up a bit over the years, yet I'm sure rockers out there can appreciate the consolatory and lyricism of her majestic music. "Somewhere Gone" is available on itunes. You should check out her Christmas album too.

Happy Holidays!!! Have fun out there.


-Tiffany

No comments: